Benton County Community Foundation Distributes $100,270 to Local Organizations
Benton County Community Foundation
June 14, 2021
The Benton County Community Foundation announced $100,270.61 in grant funding to 19 projects of organizations serving Benton County as part of its 2021 grant cycle.
The Community Foundation will not hold its annual award celebration this year. Grant checks will be mailed directly to the nonprofit organizations.
“The Benton County Community Foundation is proud to partner with our local nonprofit organizations and support their work to make Benton County a better place for everyone,” said Tim Peters, chair of the Benton County Community Foundation governing committee.
Grant recipient organization, project the grant will fund, and grant amount are listed below by funding areas.
Arts & Culture
- Area Community Theatre Inc of Benton County, Palace Theatre Concessions Stand Upgrade, $9,000
- Benton County Historical Society, Vinton Depot and Rail Museum Interior Plaster Repair, $5,000
- Preston's Station Historic District, Roadside Museum Window Stabilization, Repairs, and Restoration, $2,250
- Blairstown Firemans Association, Extrication Equipment Project, $8,309
- Friends of the Urbana Public Library, Urbana UPL - New Views, $10,000
- Shellsburg Area Community Group, Shellsburg Park Enhancements, $5,771
Education & Youth Development
- Area Substance Abuse Council, Prevention Education in Benton County, $10,000
- Girl Scouts of Eastern Iowa and Western Illinois, Girl Scout Leadership Experience in Benton County, $4,000
- Happy Time Child Development Center, Handicap Accessible Door, $4,075.61
- Iowa College Access Network, Student and Educator Support During and Post COVID-19, $2,500
- Junior Achievement of Eastern Iowa, Inspiring Better Tomorrows in Benton County, $4,025
Environment & Animal Welfare
- Benton County, OCNT Trail Bridge, $4,500
- Cedar Valley Humane Society, Pet Food Assistance, $2,000
- Benton County Volunteer Program, Benton County Volunteer Program, $7,500
- Families Helping Families of Iowa, Program Support for Benton County Children in Foster Care, $5,000
- Lutheran Services in Iowa, Benton County Healthy Families America – HFA, $5,000
- North Star Community Services, Providing Community Access, $4,500
- Vinton-Shellsburg Community School District, Elementary Schools - Backpack Program, $4,840
- Wesley United Methodist Church, Food Pantry, $2,000
Decisions on grant awards are determined by a local committee, which consists of volunteers from Benton County. Committee members include: Bryce Brecht, Jean Fish, Alison Henkle, Rod Kubichek, Manda McKinley, John Mossman, Mary Pech, Tim Peters (chair), LeRoy Staker and Anna Upah.
Grants are awarded through Benton County Community Foundation’s competitive grant process to projects in the program areas of: arts and culture, community betterment, education and youth development, environment and animal welfare, health, and human service. Grant applicants must be a 501(c)(3) designated organization or government entity serving Benton County in order to be considered for funding. The 2022 grant cycle opens January 1, 2022 with an application deadline of March 15, 2022. The grant guidelines and application will be posted prior to the cycle opening at www.bentonccf.org.